- Based: Sydney (Inner West), NSW
- Jonathan coaches online athletes
- Trail/Mountain any distance including 100 mile and multi-day.
- Road Running (any distance)
His addiction to trail running began in the early 1980s when he was introduced to Fell (Hill) Running in the Lake District of Northern England. Since then he has competed in a variety of endurance events over 3 continents.
His extensive experience, personal study into running and thirst for keeping up with new trends in the field have given him a solid grounding in the subject – how to train, what gear to choose, running techniques, nutrition and developing race strategies, all being tools of his trade.
He would love to share his passion and knowledge of running with you.
- Fitness Instructor – Cert III in Fitness with additional Nutrition Module
- Athletics Australia Accredited Level 1 Community Coach
Trail Running Highlights
It’s difficult to choose a few as I have had so many wonderful experiences over 30+ years but here are a few that come to mind:
- 1987 – Bob Graham 24 hour round (Lake District,UK)
- 2000 & 2001 – 2 top ten finishes at HardRock 100m (Colorado, USA). Digging my way up a snow/ice shelf at 13,500ft in darkness with just the moon and stars was something I will never forget.
- 2011 – Commonwealth Ultra Trail Championships (Team bronze – with Brendan and Mick Donges).
- 8 Oxfam Trailwalker wins (1 with a team of non-elite athletes just training buddies)
- 18+ Six Foot Track events
- Helping out at Trail Running events and serving on the committee of 2 running clubs (Horwich RMI and Sydney Striders)
I have been lucky enough to have my fair share of podium finishes but they don’t always stand out as a highlight.
Road running PB’s
- 2000 – 2:49 (pb) at the Anchorage Marathon, Alaska
- 1985 – 1:19 Half Marathon, Lancashire, UK – I don’t run many of these.
- 2012 – 37mins North Head 10km, Sydney
Road Running Career Highlights
2000 – 100km World Championships. It’s only a highlight as I represented Australia however I had an awful run that I would like to forget.
- My first IronMan finish in 10:45. Just as an achievement 🙂
- 2 World Championship 24 hour Rogaining events.
- Getting through the 3 Peaks (Tasmania) event enduring heavy seas
- Multi-day Mountain marathons
- Athletics Australia Level 1 Recreational Running Coach
Hi Brendan. It’s been 12 months today since I was first welcomed into to Upcoaching community. It was a Tuesday session on the stairs and trails at Knapsack. Thank you.
Many new friends. Encouragement. Support. Laughter and most importantly a great deal of fun whilst learning a new trade. I’ve had good days. I’ve had not so good days. Tired body. Sore body. Ongoing injuries. I’m certainly not the fastest but I still managed to complete my first ever trail runs, AAA25 and UTA50, I also managed to complete my first ever C2S and Blackmores 10km. I’m on my way to being a regular Parkrun participant where ever I may be on a Saturday morning.
If I can start this running journey then anyone can. All I say to people is it’s never too late and you are never too old to take up running.
As I move into year two I look forward to running smarter, faster, stronger and longer.......and of course enjoy and embracing what the Upcoaching Community is all about. Thank you and everyone at Upcoaching 😊
"I wanted to give you some feedback on David.
He is a magician! I entered the half as a last minute thing to kill time so I could watch Bec. David had me down to do 18k and 2 hours so thought it would be good timing.
I wanted to run to feel, not push hard after a big lead up and a big fall last week.
David also has been managing me through a runners knee.. so I ran without pressure and no looking at times, my expectation was circa 2:20 to do comfortably.
Today I crossed in 1:59 and had no idea I had even broken 2hrs. I had plenty left in the tank and no pain at all.
I was so excited and emotional I contacted him straight away and as is the humble nature of the man he took no credit.
Brendan, I could not be happier or healthier. Whilst, not an elite athlete, David treats me like a human and an athlete. He is a gentleman and he takes the time to understand you and what you are trying to achieve.
I am currently working close to 90 hours a week and yet he still has me wanting to crank out the kms. I feel lucky to have his advise and coaching. It is a privilege most on life are not afforded.
Thanks to both of you."
Brilliant, superb, awesome, that about sums up this trip. If you are up for an adventure and don't want the hassle of finding accommodation or great food, and of course superb trails, then this is the trip for you. Brendan and his awesome team will take care of all this for you. I was blown away by the scenery of Chamonix and more importantly, went to places that I would not have had the confidence to go to by myself without the Up\P Coaching team preparing all this for me. Superb trip, highly recommends it.