- Based: Sydney (Inner West), NSW
- Jonathan coaches online athletes
- Trail/Mountain any distance including 100 mile and multi-day.
- Road Running (any distance)
His addiction to trail running began in the early 1980s when he was introduced to Fell (Hill) Running in the Lake District of Northern England. Since then he has competed in a variety of endurance events over 3 continents.
His extensive experience, personal study into running and thirst for keeping up with new trends in the field have given him a solid grounding in the subject – how to train, what gear to choose, running techniques, nutrition and developing race strategies, all being tools of his trade.
He would love to share his passion and knowledge of running with you.
- Fitness Instructor – Cert III in Fitness with additional Nutrition Module
- Athletics Australia Accredited Level 1 Community Coach
Trail Running Highlights
It’s difficult to choose a few as I have had so many wonderful experiences over 30+ years but here are a few that come to mind:
- 1987 – Bob Graham 24 hour round (Lake District,UK)
- 2000 & 2001 – 2 top ten finishes at HardRock 100m (Colorado, USA). Digging my way up a snow/ice shelf at 13,500ft in darkness with just the moon and stars was something I will never forget.
- 2011 – Commonwealth Ultra Trail Championships (Team bronze – with Brendan and Mick Donges).
- 8 Oxfam Trailwalker wins (1 with a team of non-elite athletes just training buddies)
- 18+ Six Foot Track events
- Helping out at Trail Running events and serving on the committee of 2 running clubs (Horwich RMI and Sydney Striders)
I have been lucky enough to have my fair share of podium finishes but they don’t always stand out as a highlight.
Road running PB’s
- 2000 – 2:49 (pb) at the Anchorage Marathon, Alaska
- 1985 – 1:19 Half Marathon, Lancashire, UK – I don’t run many of these.
- 2012 – 37mins North Head 10km, Sydney
Road Running Career Highlights
2000 – 100km World Championships. It’s only a highlight as I represented Australia however I had an awful run that I would like to forget.
- My first IronMan finish in 10:45. Just as an achievement 🙂
- 2 World Championship 24 hour Rogaining events.
- Getting through the 3 Peaks (Tasmania) event enduring heavy seas
- Multi-day Mountain marathons
- Athletics Australia Level 1 Recreational Running Coach
Brilliant, superb, awesome, that about sums up this trip. If you are up for an adventure and don't want the hassle of finding accommodation or great food, and of course superb trails, then this is the trip for you. Brendan and his awesome team will take care of all this for you. I was blown away by the scenery of Chamonix and more importantly, went to places that I would not have had the confidence to go to by myself without the Up\P Coaching team preparing all this for me. Superb trip, highly recommends it.
This tour was extremely well planned and managed by all. Once there everything was taken care of for us and the accommodation was stunning, conveniently located and very comfortable. Food catered for everyone’s dietary needs and was really tasty, plus there was never a shortage for breakfast, lunch & dinner on hungry runners tummy’s.
The running itself was truely such an exceptional experience. Being able to run in these stunning locations, with coaches of such a high caliber is a experience very few get to enjoy. All runner abilities where catered for, so no one was left behind. I would 100% encourage others to take part in this experience, as I certainly hope to again.
The tour was very well organised and the cost included accommodation, catering, travel & daily guided scenic running / hiking adventures.
The accommodation was a beautiful chalet which was spacious and very comfortable and included a hot tub & Spa and only a 5 minute walk to the little village of Chamonix.
The catering was brilliant, the food was just amazing catering for many different dietary requirements and there were always leftovers which definitely did not go to waste.
There was a perfect mix of daily running, time to relax & unwind, shop or sightsee and I would highly recommend to anyone wanting an adventure without all the hassle involved in planning etc.
Well done UP Coaching tour team