- Based: Sydney (Inner West), NSW
- Jonathan coaches online athletes
- Trail/Mountain any distance including 100 mile and multi-day.
- Road Running (any distance)
His addiction to trail running began in the early 1980s when he was introduced to Fell (Hill) Running in the Lake District of Northern England. Since then he has competed in a variety of endurance events over 3 continents.
His extensive experience, personal study into running and thirst for keeping up with new trends in the field have given him a solid grounding in the subject – how to train, what gear to choose, running techniques, nutrition and developing race strategies, all being tools of his trade.
He would love to share his passion and knowledge of running with you.
- Fitness Instructor – Cert III in Fitness with additional Nutrition Module
- Athletics Australia Accredited Level 1 Community Coach
Trail Running Highlights
It’s difficult to choose a few as I have had so many wonderful experiences over 30+ years but here are a few that come to mind:
- 1987 – Bob Graham 24 hour round (Lake District,UK)
- 2000 & 2001 – 2 top ten finishes at HardRock 100m (Colorado, USA). Digging my way up a snow/ice shelf at 13,500ft in darkness with just the moon and stars was something I will never forget.
- 2011 – Commonwealth Ultra Trail Championships (Team bronze – with Brendan and Mick Donges).
- 8 Oxfam Trailwalker wins (1 with a team of non-elite athletes just training buddies)
- 18+ Six Foot Track events
- Helping out at Trail Running events and serving on the committee of 2 running clubs (Horwich RMI and Sydney Striders)
I have been lucky enough to have my fair share of podium finishes but they don’t always stand out as a highlight.
Road running PB’s
- 2000 – 2:49 (pb) at the Anchorage Marathon, Alaska
- 1985 – 1:19 Half Marathon, Lancashire, UK – I don’t run many of these.
- 2012 – 37mins North Head 10km, Sydney
Road Running Career Highlights
2000 – 100km World Championships. It’s only a highlight as I represented Australia however I had an awful run that I would like to forget.
- My first IronMan finish in 10:45. Just as an achievement 🙂
- 2 World Championship 24 hour Rogaining events.
- Getting through the 3 Peaks (Tasmania) event enduring heavy seas
- Multi-day Mountain marathons
- Athletics Australia Level 1 Recreational Running Coach
Lake Crackenback was a truly memorable experience. The Running, YOGA, Accommodation and food was perfectly catered for.
Can not wait to go back. Thanks, UP Coaching for organising an awesome getaway.
Run with Confidence has helped my running and race preparation for Western Sydney Half marathon.
The Skills I learnt over the course helps my form and has improved my running immensely. Thanks, UP Coaching.
Hills District, NSW
It was an eye-opening experience and privileged to attend a trail running camp lead by Australia's leading trail runner. Brendan is a great communicator who passionately shares his extensive knowledge and love for running. I left the camp equipped & inspired to run my first solo trail running event, all 100kms of it. With Brendan's help, I achieved the goal I set out for.
So impressed by my experience of Brendan's coaching I encouraged two of my children (aged 13 & 14) to attend a kids trail running clinic which he also led. My children, at different levels, were both inspired and enjoyed the clinic. I was greatly impressed to see how Brendan was able to connect with the all the children and once again pass on not only his knowledge but a passion for the sport.