Based in the Blue Mountains just outside of Sydney, Brendan is one of Australia’s most successful and versatile endurance runners. He has a passion for running trails and road, over short and long ultra distances, and this has taken him around the world as well as to some of the most spectacular locations in Australia. Brendan has achieved the rare feat of representing Australia in 50km and 100km road running, trail and mountain running and continues to participate in events ranging from 5km races through to ultra distance events at a competitive level.
(Click on ‘See Some Stats’ to see a list of achievements).
As a qualified Athletics Australia running coach, Brendan is a highly regarded coach and trainer with one aim in mind – to help others achieve fitness and personal success through running. He utilises his skills as a school teacher, coach and elite athlete to offer individually tailored training programs and targeted group sessions, catering for each individual’s goals and lifestyle.
Brendan is also a coach for Can Too. The Can Too Foundation is a Health Promotion Foundation that transforms lives through fun, fitness, friends and fundraising. Beginners and experienced people alike are given professional coaching as part of a team to run in events – including marathon and half marathon events.
Kellie Emmerson – Winner UTA100 2018
Road Running PBs
- 5km – 15:49, Penrith Lakes parkrun, 15/04/17
- 10km – 32:39, NSW 10km Championship, 06/05/17
- Half – 1:12:46, ANSW Half Marathon Championship, 28/08/16
- Marathon – 2:32:50, Canberra Marathon, 10/04/16
- 50km – 3:05:01, Australian Running Festival, 14/04/13
- 100km – 6:44:20, 100k World Championships, 27/11/16
Road Running Career Highlights
- 2016 – 5th, NSW Half Marathon Championship, 1:12:45
- 2016 – 19th Comrades Marathon, South Africa (89km), 5:53
Widely regarded as the World’s most prestigious and competitive Ultra Marathon
- 2015, 2010, 2009 – Represented NSW in Australian Marathon Championships
- 2015 – 3rdAustralian Marathon Championship, Sydney Marathon
- 2015 – 1st NSW Marathon Championship, Sydney Marathon
- 2015 – Represented Australia in 50km World Championship, 19th, 3:13 and Team Bronze Medal
- 2015 – Represented Australia in 100km World Championship, 19th, 6:56
- 2015 – 3rd Australian 50km Championship, Australian Running Festival, 3:08
- 2014 – Represented Australia in 100km World Championship, 12th, 6:56
- 2012 – Represented Australia in 100km World Championship, 11th, 6:55
Fifth all time Australian – 100km Rankings
- 2010 – 3rd Australian 50km Championship
- 2009 – Represented Australia in Commonwealth Championship, 100km Road Run, 9th
Trail Running Race Highlights
- 2016 – 2nd UTA22
- 2016 – 2nd Six Foot Track Marathon
- 2016 – 3rd Two Bays Trail Marathon
- 2014 – 1st Heysen 105km, Course Record
- 2014 – =1st Surf Coast Century 100km
- 2014 – 1st Oxfam Trailwalker, Sydney, Course Record
- 2014 – 8th Western States Endurance Run
Widely regarded as one of the World’s most prestigious Ultra Trail Races
- 2014 – 3rd TNF100km
- 2014 – 6th Ultra Trail Mt Fuji 100 Mile
- 2013 – 1st TNF100km, Course Record
- 2013 – 5th Ultra Trail Mt Fuji 100 Mile
- 2012 – 1st Great Ocean Walk 100km, Course Record
- 2012 – 1st Great North Walk 100 Miles, Course Record
- 2012 – 4th TNF100km
- 2011 – 1st Great North Walk 100km, Course Record
- 2011 – 5th TNF100km
- 2011 – 2nd Six Foot Track Marathon
Trail Running Career Highlights
- 2018 – 1st UTA100 Course Record 09:18:10
- 2016 – 3rd Australian Short Course Trail Running Championship
- 2014 – 5th Ultra Trail World Tour Mens Rankings
- 2011 – 1st Australian Ultra Trail Running Championship
- 2011 – Represented Australia at the Commonwealth Ultra Trail Running Championship, 4th
- 2010 – Represented Australia in World Long Course Mountain Running Championship, Pikes Peak Ascent, Colorado
Other Career Highlights
2012 – Present: Part of the Inov-8 International Trail Running Team
2016: AURA Australian Male Ultra Runner of the Year
2015: AURA Australian Male Ultra Runner of the Year
2013: Blue Mountains Sportsperson of the Year
2013: ultra168.com Australian Male Ultra Runner of the Year
2012: AURA Australian Male Ultra Runner of the Year
Only athlete to achieve the feat of representing Australia in 50km and 100km road running AND trail and mountain running.
UP COACHING PHILOSOPHY
‘Unleashing Potential to Ultimate Performance’
Brendan has a strong, inclusive philosophy and caters for all runners; from those taking their first steps through to the recreational runner and elite athlete. He loves sharing the joy of fitness and running with those who are just starting out, teaching the techniques and skills to those who are looking to improve and providing guidance, plans and information to those who already regularly run but wish to sharpen their focus or have a particular event in mind.
- Bachelor of Arts (Geography)
- Bachelor of Teaching (Primary Ed)
- Master of Education (Special Ed)
- Level 2 Athletics Australia Coaching Accreditation and Orienteering Australia Level 0
- Active After School Communities qualified provider
- Level 1 Coaching: Football, Cricket, Rugby League, Netball
- Advanced First Aid Certificate
- Working With Children Check Approval, WWC0176513E
Coaching Role: Brendan coaches Local and Distant Athletes online and facilitates the weekly training sessions, weekend group training and training camps.
Coaching Specialisation: Trail Running; all distances. Road Running; all distances. Elite Coaching and Mentoring.
Brendan currently coaches elite athletes:
– Kelly-ann Varey, Road Runner
– Marnie Ponton, Trail and Road Runner
– Kellie Emmerson, Trail Runner
– Lou Clifton, Trail Runner
– Stephanie Auston, Trail and Road Runner
– Andrew Hough, Trail Runner
– Michael Chapman, Road and Mountain Runner
And rising stars
– Glenn Williams
– Jasmine Sargeant
I backed my training and all the wonderful guidance I had from the truly awsome Kelly-ann Varey and worked my butt off the get it done.
Lake Crackenback was a truly memorable experience. The Running, YOGA, Accommodation and food was perfectly catered for.
Can not wait to go back. Thanks, UP Coaching for organising an awesome getaway.
Run with Confidence has helped my running and race preparation for Western Sydney Half marathon.
The Skills I learnt over the course helps my form and has improved my running immensely. Thanks, UP Coaching.